Thursday, August 30, 2018

TBTOW- Day 6

July 6, 2018
Starting point: Tomah, Wisconsin
Destination: Mitchell, South Dakota
Song of the Day: Pa's Fiddle Medley (from a CD of music from the Laura Ingall's books)

The children and I managed to get on the road without incident (at least, almost two months later, I can't remember an incident). Our first high point of the day was seeing the Mississippi River.


My navigator had to capture the Mississippi River between the trees.

Next we met up with the guys in Northfield, Minnesota, at the final worship service at the Higher Things conference. How happy I was to see them in their orange/cantaloupe conference shirts! And, let me tell you, if Lutheran worship is your thing, this service was beautiful.

We said our goodbyes to family and friends who were there and began our grand family vacation. This, indeed was the real beginning of The Big Trip Out West.

We listened to our song of the day and set off to picnic on the Banks of Plum Creek. But, alas, just as it happened in the book, Plum Creek was flooded, and our first exciting stop on TBTOW didn't happen. I was disappointed more than anybody, but who can argue with Mother Nature?

We pressed on to our hotel in Mitchell, South Dakota. The landscape was notably flat.

Beautiful sunset through a buggy windshield

I have also noted in my travel journal that we saw "cool metal sculptures." My memory fails me, so I don't know where these sculptures were. But perhaps if you're driving on the interstate to Mitchell, South Dakota, you'll be lucky enough to see them, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment