Saturday, November 11, 2017

Heat Day 2017

This year was an epic fail at beating any records in my little game I like to call "Wait as Long as Possible to Turn on the Heat." This week temperatures really dropped outside, so I've been baking my pumpkins and other good things all week long. All those activities kept things warm enough for awhile.

Last night I baked pumpkin bread for breakfast this morning. Even with the oven on, my nose was cold. I can put layers and layers of clothes on. I can pile blankets on. I can put foot warmers under the covers. But I can't cover up my cold nose. I just can't.

I considered waiting until midnight to stretch out the inevitable, but I was too tired to stay up that late. So 2017's official Heat Day is November 10th-- the earliest yet.

And just in time. My daughter informed me this morning that we had our first frost and the guinea's water was frozen over. It is, indeed, time for the heat.

Maybe I'll set a new record next year.

(For those who care, my record is November 23rd.)

6 comments:

  1. We also turned it on earlier than usual. Then we got sick after all the crud came out of the vents. Now we are all healthy. It is low 20s and feels like less so I am glad the heat is on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been sick, too, but it was before we turned on the heat. I can't say we are all healthy now, but we're headed in that direction. I hope.

      Delete
  2. You're braver than I am, Jody. We've had heat for weeks. I think we'd fight it more if we had more space to heat or something more costly than wood as our heat source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not brave. Our house stays really warm without heat--insulation? brick? I don't know, but I'm thankful.

      Delete
  3. You are a braver person than me, our heating went on three weeks ago. I really don't like being cold and I always am - even with the heating on! Right time for more layers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I age, I'm learning to love the layers. Lately I've been wearing a vest my Oma knit for her sister that was handed down to me years ago.

      Delete