Sunday, February 9, 2014

Humble Pie



This is the pie I took to potluck at church today. Allow me to clarify: this is what the pie looked like before it went to potluck today.  Yes, that is a large piece missing. You see, sometimes little fingers attached to hungry little bodies simply cannot resist the urge to dig in before the appointed time.

When my husband discovered the pie anomaly, I was livid. I almost cried. That was my perfect pumpkin pie, made with pumpkin from our garden and real lard from butchering! And the crust came out just right!  Do you know how hard that is for me?!

My husband naively suggested that it would be no problem to remove the messed up slice and take the rest of the pie to church. I emphatically responded in the negative. No way was I going to serve up a pie with a slice missing.  It would be so embarrassing!

And after removing myself from the situation and counting to 10, you know what?  I couldn't even think of one sound reason not to take the dumb pie. It would still taste the same without one piece. In fact, most people wouldn't even know it came to church already missing a wedge.

So the piece was removed, the pie went to church, and while I am still cringing a bit on the inside, everything worked out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment