Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Forgotten Picture

I've been blogging quite haphazardly (at best), but today our friend was admitted to the hospital. I began thinking about my mother's hospitalization around New Year's, and I remembered a picture I took at the hospital.

One of my mother's nurses wore a uniform unlike any nurse I've seen for a very long time (if ever).


I was so surprised to see the traditional nurse uniform, and she said she gets that all the time. I asked for permission to take a picture, and she said that was fine. She also told me the story about why she wears it: her mother put her through nursing school and wanted to see her in her nurse's hat. She wears it out of respect for her mother.  

I have to tell you, I wish it were more common. There was something authoritative and reassuring about her uniform. It just seemed right and not quite so "pajama-y" as the scrub-style uniforms worn by most modern healthcare professionals.

Has anybody else seen a nurse dressed like this anytime in the last 30 years?

** By the way, if you comment and I do not reply, it's not because I don't want to. I've been unable to comment on my own blog for the last several weeks, and I'm not sure why. I haven't had the time to figure it out. If anybody knows what I can do, please send me a note!

2 comments:

  1. She looks lovely! I'm horribly unobservant, and never would have noticed! But it IS nice to see someone respecting the dignity of her profession : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's great to see people still wanting to go the extra mile.

    ReplyDelete