Tuesday, March 10, 2015

In The Air

For science class yesterday, I sent the children outside to see if there were any signs of spring, mostly because I am really tired of winter and needed the encouragement. What they found did not disappoint.

First up, shrinking piles of snow from the plow.

The biggest pile left will be gone today, I'm sure.


Then were the various green things popping up. They had to rake leaves away to find most of these.


Snow Glories

The irises Grandma and Grandpa planted a couple of years ago



The tulips on the side of the house that have needed dividing for years

They also found some swelling buds.

My lilac


And best of all, the one thing they dragged me out of the house for, the one that had them all giddy and in giggles. . . 



Announcing. . . 



THE FIRST FLOWER OF SPRING!



A most welcome crocus


I think they all deserve an "A" for this science assignment.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you all could start keeping a log with things like date of first crocus, last snow, first lilac, fall tree color change etc. each year. Could be interesting to see how it varies from year to year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I had a remarkably similar post: http://spiceoflifemom.blogspot.com/2014/03/spring-fever.html

      It was on March 16th. On March 17th we had snow. Go figure.
      I'm just hoping it's this nice when your little ones get hear next week!

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous!

    It's been above freezing for 3 or 4 days now and the cabin fever is lifting around here, but we still have a couple feet of snow cover and 5 foot piles of snow along the driveway. But I can feel spring. I can't wait to see a crocus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my husband certainly would prefer to be in your locale because he wants snow and lots of it. (He grew up in Minnesota.)

      Delete