Friday, August 28, 2015

I Waited For It!

Remember how last year I just couldn't wait to try the first watermelon?

Last year's failure

Well, this year, I waited. Barely. Then tendril closest the stem was mostly brown.

This year's first watermelon

Was it the sweetest tasting thing ever? No. Did it satisfy my pregnant lady craving? Somewhat. But the kids loved it, and we ate it all. The ones we've eaten since then have been much sweeter, I'm guessing because they had a nice dose of hot weather. 

2 comments:

  1. When I was growing up we could never get the watermelons in our garden to ripen very well. I'll have to do some research if I ever try to grow them now.

    When I was pregnant with my daughter I ate watermelon almost every day. It's all I ever really craved. I've tried giving her watermelon now, but she won't eat it. Perhaps she's tired of it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought a variety that is for a short growing season. I can't remember the name of it. . . black mountain or something maybe? I think we bought it originally at Seed Savers.

      Delete