Thursday, January 26, 2017

Blurry Pictures, Beautiful Night

Back before Christmas my husband came home for lunch one day and said something cryptic. He said, "I'm going to tell you something, and I don't want you to say anything."

Of course, I was curious and worried. I replied, "How long till I can say something?" He told me he just wanted me to listen and not say "no" right away.

He told me that Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle were scheduled to sing at the Grand Ole Opry in January at the old Ryman Auditorium. He continued that it was more than we spend normally, but we'd never taken the kids to something like it and we wouldn't often have the chance to see such a legend, etc.

I immediately said, "Yes! Go buy the tickets!" That afternoon I called and bought tickets. I proceeded to worry that sickness or winter weather would ruin the whole thing.

Then this past weekend, we went to Tennessee. We were able to visit and stay with our beautiful niece and nephew (and their parents) since they live outside of Nashville. The weather was great, and the kids had lots of fun playing outside.

But on Saturday morning, we woke up with one sick little boy. We started wondering which of us would stay behind and which would drive into Nashville with the others. By afternoon, sick little boy wasn't too terribly sick, so we decided to chance taking him along anyway.

The drive in was easy. We found parking for our van easily. We walked to the Ryman Auditorium. Everything was going well.

Then it got even better. We found out Crystal Gayle was actually being inducted into the Grand Ole Opry that night!

When we went inside and sat down, this was what we saw:

I couldn't wait for the curtains to open!

Then it got even better when the music started. I loved the format of the show with so many different performers. We all enjoyed it. Except when the little one felt sick. Except when a bigger one got a bad headache. But even then it was an amazing show. 

The performers that night were:  Jeannie Seely, Ryan Kinder, Mike Snider, John Conlee, Smithfield, Connie Smith, Riders in the Sky, Jesse McReynolds, Emily West, Opry Square Dancers, Loretta Lynna, Crystal Gayle. . .and their sister Peggy Sue.

I think the kids' favorite was Riders in the Sky. They were funny!


Blurry Riders in the Sky

My favorite, before and after the show, was Loretta Lynn. At age 84, she can still sing. The headache boy thought it was nice that she sang one of her songs that he "kind of" likes-- "Fist City." (This is the boy who loves Metallica, so Loretta Lynn is a little bit of a stretch for him. Crystal Gayle is a bigger stretch.) 


Blurry Loretta Lynn in one of her fancy dresses


The three blurry sisters singing "Coal Miner's Daughter"

And, yes, Crystal Gayle still has long hair down to her ankles. Some of the kids thought she was singing, "Do-nuts make my brown eyes blue!" instead of "Don't it make my brown eyes blue." So cute. 

I've never been to the newer home of the Grand Ole Opry, but I definitely recommend going to the Ryman to take in a performance; the Opry plays there in the winter some. If I lived closer, I can see myself saving up money over and over to go to the Grand Ole Opry. 

Afterwards, we took in some lights and sights as we drove out of town.





It might be a bit premature seeing that January isn't even over yet, but I think I can say this is the highlight of my whole year!



No comments:

Post a Comment