Friday, May 23, 2014

Violets Are Blue or Purple

Well, a few weeks ago we got right back into the weed-eating. I'd not noticed it before, but this spring the children brought to my attention the violets that were growing all over our back yard. I guessed they were violets, but I didn't really even know. After consulting books and the internet, I found that they were indeed violets, and what's more, they are edible and healthy (lots of vitamin C).

So into the salad they went.


It was a spinach salad with dried cranberries and walnuts. The violets fit right in flavor-wise because the leaves tasted like the spinach. The flowers didn't have much of a taste that I noticed, but they sure do look pretty.

Now, before we go any further, please be smart. Don't go putting just any purple flower that grows in your yard in your salad bowl. Make sure you properly identify and research what you eat. And please don't just clip off some leaves and blossoms from your potted African violet. That's just not edible. Again, be smart.

Alas, I doubt we'll get to eat any more because the lawn was mowed. I know my children will keep their eyes open for them next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment