Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


We'll start with the good. Yummy things growing are always good.


First zucchini of the year

We ate this yummy morsel with our morning eggs today. It was bigger because these pictures are two days old.



Bountiful blackberries

A few of these tasty treats have ripened already and have found their way into the bellies of garden workers who needed a little snack.

 

Early raspberries

Our raspberries throw out a few teasers before their season begins in earnest, usually in August. Raspberries are my favorite. I also like the willing helper holding the berries; she loves working with growing things. I predict her thumb will turn green any day now.


Now for the bad.


Do you see those mating Japanese beetles through the lacy grape leaf? Yep. They're responsible for that foliage destruction, I fear.

Stupid bugs

It's not all bad, though, because this year our grapevine is actually putting on and keeping some grapes. Could this be the first year we might harvest a grape or two despite those beetles?

I fear the unknown, and right now I don't know what's causing those grapes to turn yucky-looking. I'm so new to this grape thing.


The grapes look like they're rotting.


 And now for the ugly. And let me warn you, it is ugly.


Poison ivy, vile stuff!


While this plant by itself isn't visually repulsive, my face is. There was some poison ivy growing in the garden, and my husband dug it out with a shovel. I made the mistake of pulling the weeds that were next to it. And then wiping my face. And a few other places.

I won't post a picture of my face, but let's just say that the kids are staring with pity and horror, and the toddler just stares and points. When I have a fresh coat of calamine, he won't let me near him. On Sunday and Monday I was merely disfigured and grotesque. Today I awoke to one eye swollen shut. Later in the day it opened up partially, but I'm not sure I look any better.

So I am miserable, but at least I found out I can take benadryl in the third trimester. It takes the edge off. A little bit.

For a bonus ugly picture, scroll down.


































That's my compression-stockinged foot in a sock that's coming off in my hot pink Crocs.

If that's not ugly, I don't know what is! Except for my face. That's really, really ugly. Trust me.

But if you don't trust me, shoot me an email, and I'll reply with the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment