Friday, September 22, 2017

First Day of Autumn

I think it fitting that we greet the first day of fall with pictures of our pumpkin/squash harvested yesterday.


The whole 50+ beauties!


I love the curlicue vine on this one.


The white ones are new this year.

I love my our pumpkins. I think they are so beautiful. I am not sure how many we grew total, but there are more than 50 (I had the kindergartner and preschooler count). Yesterday we had to throw a few out because there were nibbles or rotten spots. We also gave one away before the picture. 

One difference we saw this year was that when we picked them, we had to brush slugs off the bottom. We've never had slugs! This year, with all the moisture from the summer, we've even seen slugs on our driveway in the morning. 

It makes me think fondly of my slug-hunting days in Olalla, salt-shaker in hand and salt water sandals on foot, surrounding by my little cousins outfitted in a like manner. I guess that's what kids do when there aren't any lightning bugs to catch.

But I digress. Happy autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment